Monday, March 7, 2011

Learning and changes

Okay, I'm still learning, or maybe I should say I've been too lazy to try to learn how to use this. It's been over a year since I've written and there have been a few changes going on here. My youngest daughter moved to a college dorm last August so we are now empty-nesters and I'm still not sure if I like it.

And then on Valentine's Day we lost our beloved old Belgian horse, Colonel. We figured that he was about 29 years old-give or take a few.
He just lay down in the cow-yard one day and was still there the next morning when we looked outside. Unfortunately by then he was already in shock and couldn't stand. My husband called the vet but they made the decision to put the poor old 'pony' down. It was very difficult and we cried for two days. He's been with us for about 16 or 17 years.

Colonel, we will miss you terribly.

But enough of the sadness.

I'm greatly looking forward to spring this year as I'm sure everyone else in our area is. It's been such a long, cold, snowy winter and I've had enough of it already. I want green grass and flowers and new baby calves born that won't have to be brought into the basement and dried off with a heat gun. (We had two last year, and one so far this year)

This is one of our calf-sicles from last year.
After she was dry we put her back outside with mama and she did fine.
 
As of right now we still have two moms expecting. Both of their calves came on March 1st of last year, so either one of them could calf any day now.

No comments:

Post a Comment