Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Yay, spring!

Beautiful blue sky day, perfect for working outside


I've been so busy this past week (ever since the last of the snow melted and I finally got to dig my garden fork into the soil) that I haven't had time to sit down and write. All I want is be outside because there is always something to do everywhere I look. It was a busy fall. Winter came on quick and with me being gone in PA for a few weeks to see the grandbabies, not much of the fall yard clean-up got done. I'm paying for it now with this spring clean-up.

At least the chicken house got cleaned out last week and now we have happy (and much better smelling) chickens. We ordered 15 new silky chicks and also 15 guineas this week too, so I've been working on getting the old chicken house and pen straightened up.
I started on the pen yesterday. Can you believe the dead weeds in there were taller than me! And the new ones, nettles included, already had a pretty good start at six inches high. After removing the weeds, the washout holes still needed fixing from a downpour last fall, which ran underneath the shed's concrete floor.

It took forever to get the pen clean and I'm still not done... there are a few more washout places beneath the fence where predators could get in. But in spite of all the things that need to be done, I'm getting very excited about this new spring growth. I just love the surprise of seeing a new crocus or daffodil that wasn't there yesterday.



                                                                                                            


The cattle seemed to be enjoying the warm spring day as much as I was

Angel with the calves (the light one on the left is hers)


Erin and Rocky (our baby bull)


5 comments:

  1. Hi there and thank you for your entry on the Farmgirl Farm friend blog hop! Welcome! Hope to see you again as you reach out to more farm friends every week!
    Blessings,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there i just found you and love your calves! they look like big lumps of fur in the grass...so cute! your hollyhock on your banner is gorgeous, those are my summer flower faves. hop on over if you get a chance, i know you are very busy these day with all of your spring chores! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy!
    I love Highland cattle...loved them since I was a child living in Vancouver BC and our neighbor had them. Your farm is lovely and I LOVE your rolling hills. Missing the mountains of British Columbia I love anything that is rolling and tree'd and your land is just gorgeous! Thanks for stopping by this morning and leaving a comment...I'll be back again to see what I've missed from earlier posts. Today is grocery day and we're hitting the nursery while we're there...Yahoo! I'll keep the pictures coming of the garden as we go and please keep photo's coming of your gardens as the plants emerge...happy spring! Have a wonderful day...
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Sandy! Thank you for coming by my blog. I am on a bit of hiatus right now :) I have enjoyed my visit here and will do some more reading. I love your Highlands. We have Highlands for neighbors and they are stunning cattle. I love looking out my kitchen window and seeing them. I love your kitties too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Sandy. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Don't hesitate to post some comments! For what it's worth, my chickens hate snow also! Yours look much better than mine as they have been confined for 5 months. I enjoyed yout highland cow pictures. I've never seen one in real life.

    ReplyDelete